Certified Journal to the Self Facilitator, Expressive Writing Coach & Writer
Certified Instructor of the Journal to the Self workshops designed to demonstrate how to keep a journal to explore ourselves and our relationships with others. The true and tried techniques, developed by Kathleen Adams, a pioneer in using writing as a personal growth tool, have paved the way for many around the globe to discover the the writer within, learn life management skills, and tap into creative problem-solving.
Journal-Writing Workshops using Journal to the Self techniques:
- February 20th—Reboot Winter Camp @The Abbey Resort in Lake Geneva. I will offer a two-hour journaling workshop during this socially distanced fitness retreat that will take place February 19-21. For information, contact Lisa McGowan at Lisa@awameetings.com.
February 4th, 7-8:30 p.m.—Creative Expressions Workshop @The Licorice Project, a welcome community for breast cancer patients, survivors, and thrivers. I will join Mignon Dupepe for this virtual event using journal writing as a creative tool combined with art techniques. The theme will tie in with nature and resilience. For more information, email email@example.com.
2020-2021 offerings designed to help people connect and better cope during the pandemic:
- Join me at the Women's Exchange in one or all of a series of workshops to learn to use journals to explore various aspects of our lives, ourselves, and our relationships with others. NEXT SESSION meets 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. January 8, 2021. Prompts will be provided to help revive or maintain your journaling practice! No writing experience necessary. Register @ Women's Exchange.
- Exploring Our Inner Peace Expressive Workshop: Michelle Wirth Fellman and Mignon Dupepe will provide writing and art tools to help participants find their inner peace in this Women's Excange workshop offered via Zoom. No previous writing or art skill required, only an openness and curiosity of creative self-discovery and expression; Friday, September 25, 1 to 3 pm. $30. Register @ Women's Exchange.
- Reflect/Write via Zoom @ Women's Exchange of Winnetka, Ill.; August 11, 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. Click here to register.
- Sip & Reflect/Write at Mallinckcrodt Park in Wilmette; July 28, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. $15. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Zoom journaling group @ Women's Exchange every Thursday in June 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Zoom journaling group @ Women's Exchange every Thursday in May 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Zoom journaling sessions @ Temple Jeremiah May 12, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and May 19 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Zoom sessions for groups up to six people available upon request.
Expressive Writing Coach and Instructor for wellness, personal growth and creative expression, specializing in senior adults and women in Chicago's North Shore.
- Led seniors in life-story writing groups, and pen pal programs with middle school and high school students
- Led a writing group exercise on the Root to Rise Retreat at Elawa Farm in Lake Forest, Ill.
Writer who helps senior adults capture their life stories, and freelancer who has written for newspapers, business magazines and companies, as well as professional bios for individuals.
"Loved the journaling class! Michelle offers the PERFECT combination of individual time to reflect/write and share if you wish. This is so much more than a series of prompts from which to journal. The writing exercises were often surprisingly revealing to me." -Lisa M
"I have found this journaling class to be a great way to look at life in positive creative ways." -Vernelle P
“I loved this class! I had forgotten how therapeutic it is to sit down and write. Michelle made it very easy to get started. The exercises she introduced helped us organize our thoughts, and once we got going, it was hard to stop. It was the perfect balance between fun and self reflection. My favorite part was the letter writing. A lost art to be sure." -Kim D
"Many thanks to Michelle for being such a wonderful teacher." -Maureen V
Background on Michelle:
Michelle’s unique background provides her with the foundation to bridge her two passions—writing and helping people.
She earned a Master of Science degree in Journalism from Northwestern University before working for more than a decade as a professional writer, reporting and writing for newspapers including the Daily Herald, American Marketing Association magazines, and businesses’ websites and other corporate communications.
After taking time off to focus on raising her three children, Michelle explored her desire to help others by returning to school to earn a Master of Arts degree in Psychology from National Louis University in 2015.
Shortly after, she trained to become a certified instructor of Journal to the Self workshops, learning to teach journal writing techniques for personal growth, stress management and creative expression.
A journaler for more than four decades, Michelle has used writing to help guide her through difficult life situations and document her life. She enjoys working with people across the life span, particularly women facing life transitions, and the Chicago-area seniors for whom she has led groups on life-story writing and co-coordinated pen pal programs with middle school and high school students.
Michelle is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Counseling at National Louis University.
For Your Information:
- The Wall Street Journal explains how "expressive writing" can relieve stress and boost health.
- The JUF News mentions journaling as a way to manage stress during quarantine.
- The New York Times includes the story of an astronaut who says he used journaling to make isolation more bearable while on the International Space Station.
- Michelle Wirth Fellman featured in Next Act for Women blog by Hélène Tragos Stelian, writer, speaker and life coach.
- Read this New York Times article about the many benefits of journal writing, including better sleep, a stronger immune system and a higher IQ!